bq: So inorder for me  move the shards to its own instances, I will have to
take a down time and move the newly created shards & replicas to its own
instances.

No, this is not true.

The easiest way to move things around is use the collections API
ADDREPLICA command after splitting.

Let's call this particular shard S1 on machine M1, and the results of
the SPLITSHARD command S1.1 and S1.2 Further, let's say that your goal
is to move _one_ of the subshards from machine M1 to M2

So the sequence is:

1> issue SPLITSHARD and wait for it to complete. This requires no
downtime and after the split the old shard becomes inactive and the
two new subshards are servicing all requests. I'd probably stop
indexing during this operation just to be on the safe side, although
that's not necessary. So now you have both S1.1 and S1.2 running on M1

2> Use the ADDREPLICA command to add a replica of S1.2 to M2. Again,
no downtime required. Wait until the new replica is "active", at which
point it's fully operational. So now we have S1.1 and S1.2 running on
M1 and S1.2.2 running on M2.

3> Use the DELETEREPLICA command to remove S1.2 from M1. Now you have
S1.1 running on M1 and S1.2.1 running on M2. No downtime during any of
this.

4> You should be able to delete S1 now from M1 just to tidy up.

5> Repeat for the other shards.

Best,
Erick