If you search for f:validat*, then I believe you will get same number of
results. Please check.

f:validator* is searching for records that have prefix "validator" where as
field with stemmer which stems "validator" to "validate" (if this stemming
was applied at index time as well as query time) its looking for records
that have "validate" or "validator", so for obvious reasons, numFound might
have been different.