> I have a requirement to index (mainly updation) 700 docs per second.
> Suppose I have a 128GB RAM, 32 CPU machine, with each doc size around 260
> byes (6 fields out of which only 2 will undergo updation at the above
> rate). This collection has around 122Million docs and that count is pretty
> much a constant.

We've found that average index size per document is a good predictor of
performance. For instance, I've got a 150GB index lying around,
containing 400M documents. That's roughly 400 bytes per document in
index size. This was indexed @ 4500 documents/second.

If the average index size per documents doubles, the throughput will go
down by about a third. Your mileage may vary.

But yeah, I would say that 700 docs on your machine won't be much of a
problem. Especially considering your index will likely fit in memory.

 - Bram