Hello, all!  I'm a BloombergBNA employee and need to obtain/write a
dtSearch parser for solr (and probably a bunch of other things a little
later).
I've looked at the available parsers and thought that the surround parser
may do the trick, but it apparently doesn't like nested N or W subqueries.
I looked at XmlQueryParser and I'm most impressed with it from a
functionality perspective.  I liked the SpanQueries, but I either don't
understand SpanNot or it has a bug for the exclude.
At the end of the day, we will need to continue to support dtSearch
syntax.  I may as well just bite the bullet and write the dtSearch parser
and include it as a patch for Solr.

Here are my immediate issues:
  - I don't know the best path forward on making the parser (I saw
something in the HowToContribute page at the bottom about JFlex)  -  Can
someone please take pity on me and help me get started down this path?  I
probably won't need a lot of help.
  - I'm great at .NET, not so much Java--yet.  I've not yet been able to
build a trunk and "deploy" it (I can build it and run tests, but not run
it--I'm sure I'm just missing an elusive documentation link on how to do
that)
  - I downloaded and got the solr trunk in Eclipse.  I'm not sure the best
way of adding unit tests for my stuff--do I add it to an existing
subdirectory or create a new package?

I think it'd be great if I could get a bare-bones example of a parser so
that I can modify it--perhaps even keeping it in a separate Java project.

Don't feel like you have to answer all of my questions--an answer to any of
them would be quite helpful.

Thank you guys and God bless!