Hi,

I've introduced a new boolean field "is_deleted_b_ns" on my objects which I
index with Solr. I am using dynamic field definitions ("b" indicating Boolean,
"ns" for "not stored").

Since the field did not exist while the index was built, none of my documents
currently has that field indexed.

My queries from now on must always include this new boolean field: either they
ask the index is_deleted_b_ns:false or is_deleted_b_ns:true. However since the
field is not yet indexed both queries return 0 results.

I see two ways I could go from here:

1)      Either rebuild the whole index so that all documents index this newly
added field as well (time consuming) and then above queries will return the
expected results.

2)      I think I could ease my query in the way of OR combining:
is_deleted_b_ns:false with -is_deleted_b_ns:[* TO *]

That would mean "give me the documents where the flag is false or where it does
not exist at all"

Doing 1) is ok for now since this is a big change and we're not in production
yet. Doing 2) feels kind of bad since I don't know if it's a big performance
hit. Also I don't like it since it seems like I react to the current state of
the index in my program code - someday the index will be up to date again and
then I'd have this broader query logic in my program which is not needed
anymore.

However 1) will be a problem when we are in production someday. Sure, we won't
have changes that big all time to the index schema but one never knows.

What's your opinion on this? May be there is another option as well?

Best regards,
Sebastian

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Sebastian Riemer, BSc

[logo_Littera_SC]<http://www.littera.eu/>
LITTERA Software & Consulting GmbH
A-6060 Hall i.T., Haller Au 19a
Telefon: +43(0) 50 765 000, Fax: +43(0) 50 765 118
Sitz: Hall i.T., eingetragen beim Handelsgericht Innsbruck,
Firmenbuch-Nr. FN 295807k, geschäftsführender Gesellschafter: Albert
Unterkircher

D-80637 München, Landshuter Allee 8-10
Telefon: +49(0) 89 919 29 122, Fax: +49(0) 89 919 29 123
Sitz: München, eingetragen beim Amtsgericht München
unter HRB 103698, Geschäftsführer: Albert Unterkircher
E-Mail: off...@littera.eu<blocked::mailto:off...@littera.eu>
Homepage: www.littera.eu<http://www.littera.eu/>

Diese Nachricht kann vertrauliche, nicht für die Veröffentlichung bestimmte
und/oder rechtlich geschützte Informationen enthalten. Falls Sie nicht der
beabsichtigte Empfänger sind, beachten Sie bitte, dass jegliche
Veröffentlichung, Verbreitung oder Vervielfältigung dieser Nachricht
strengstens untersagt ist. Sollten Sie diese Nachricht irrtümlich erhalten
haben, informieren Sie bitte sofort den Absender durch Anruf oder Rücksendung
der Nachricht und vernichten Sie diese.

This communication may contain information that is legally privileged,
confidential or exempt from disclosure.  If you are not the intended recipient,
please note that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this
communication is strictly prohibited.  Anyone who receives this message in
error should notify the sender immediately by telephone or by return e-mail and
delete this communication entirely from his or her computer.