Steven:

I'm not sure you can, the terms query parser is built to
OR things together.

You might be able to use some of the nested query stuff.
Or, assuming you have an _additional_ fq clause
you want to use just use it as:
fq={!terms f=category}1,2,3,4,...N&fq=whaterver

Then you're taking advantage of the default
behavior of multiple "fq" clauses.

And I'd do one other thing, I'd add "cache=false" (at least I'm
pretty sure this works):
fq={!terms f=category cache=false}1,2,3,4,...N
on the assumption that it's highly unlikely that you'll send in
another fq clause _exactly_ like the one you're creating.

Best,
Erick