Maybe you'd be better off using a custom search component.
instead of a doc transformer. The intent of a doc transformer
is, as you've discovered, working on single docs at a time. You
want to manipulate the whole response which seems to fit more
naturally into a search component. Make sure to put it after
the highlight component (i.e. last-components).

Best,
Erick