Hi Ryan,
can you explain this ?
" I'd like the search request to search multiple
fields, but only elevate if the query is found in one of the fields."

You mean, that you want to apply the elevation component only if the user
selected a particular field in the query ?
If i remember well, you have the possibility of associate a list of
documents to each query you prefer in the elevation file.

But maybe I misunderstood your question, are you actually thinking to boost
the results only if they have a certain match in a particular field ?
Because maybe you are looking for the classic edismax with different field
boosting instead than the query elevation component.
Let us know and we can help you better!

Cheers

--

Benedetti Alessandro