Using classic schema is perfectly acceptable/reasonable, you can
continue to do so freely (you'll have to change to
ClassicSchemaFactory though).

Also, you can freely edit managed-schema just as you did schema.xml.
The "trick" here is that you have to take some care _not_ to issue
commands that modify the schema or the in-memory version will
overwrite the one in ZK. Otherwise, though, you can freely use
managed-schema just as you do classic schema.

So you can do just what you do now, keep managed-schema in VCS and
upconfig it. Also note that Solr 6.2 has "bin/solr zk
upconfig/downconfig/cp/mv/ls" functionality.

Managed lends itself to some kind of UI that maintains it. The process
(IMO) for using that in prod would be something like:
> Use the UI to build your schema
> copy from ZK to your local machine
> put the configs in VCS
> Deploy using the VCS as your system-of-record.

But that's just my approach. If you don't want to use the
managed-schema features, switch back to classic IMO.

Best,
Erick