2. I believe there is a bug in IndexBased- and FileBasedSpellChecker.java
where the analyzer variable is only set on the build command. Therefore,
when the index is reloaded, but not built after starting solr, issuing a
query with the spellcheck.q parameter will cause a NullPointerException to
be thrown (SpellCheckComponent.java:158). Moving the analyzer logic to the
constructor seems to fix the problem.

I did not see a jira ticket for this (nor am I sure it's a real bug :), so I
have attached a patch with these changes. Please let me know if I have
overlooked something here and if I should attach this to an actual ticket.

I don't see a patch, but I was just about to reply to the previous post in this thread that I thought a new jira issue was warranted - I see the exact same exception in line 158 under the exact circumstances, using current trunk as of this minute.

as far as I can tell, 622 would help... if I wanted to build on each start, which I may not. the exception seems like a different issue that should be separately tracked.

--Geoff