Ok, did a bit more digging.  It looks like if I build a custom
ContentStreamLoader I can create a custom AddOrUpdateCommand that is
ultimately responsible for building the lucene document.  So looks like if
I build a custom UpdateRequestHandler I can register my custom
ContentStreamLoader and I'll be set.  Is this the appropriate course of
action?

Lastly, I always want to use my custom UpdateRequest when adding data to
Solr from SolrJ but I don't see an easy way of doing this.  Really what I
need is to control the XML generated and being sent to the server and it
looks like this is the best way, but I wonder given the inability to plugin
a custom request writer (or something similar).  Am I barking up the wrong
tree?