First of course I would always back up my indexes, but then I'm paranoid.

But 5.5.1 should be drop-in for 5.4.1. There are no index format changes
you need to worry about. You can install 5.5.1 in a new directory on your
box and start it up with the same SOLR_HOME as your 5.4.1 setup (after
shutting down the Solr 5.4.1 of course) and you should be fine.

Best,
Erick