First of all, please have them pretty much ignore the cores admin page.
That's mostly a remnant of the non-SolrCloud days and largely is used for
troubleshooting and the like. Most of all, assuming your index changes
reasonably frequently (i.e. less than once a day) optimizing is unnecessary
and should be avoided.

As far as the reload command on a collection, it finds all of the cores
that make up a collection and issues a core reload on all of them. This:
> reloads the config and schema files
> throws out all the cached data
> opens new searchers

There's no reason to reload unless you've changed the config files and
pushed them to Zookeeper in the normal course of events. For your ops
people, reload should be about on par with "restart Solr". Think of
reloading a collection as bouncing the JVM except only for a single
collection.

Best,
Erick