I’m not entirely sure i’m describing the correct problem here - for now it
looks like the only way it occurs and i hope it’s not misleading any pointers
that would be helpful. so in case you think i got it wrong, please say so

I have two documents in the index [{"source":"foo"}, {"source":"bar”}] where
source is a simple string field (indexed as well as stored, if that’ll matter).

Using

> ?q=*:*
> &fq={!tag=source}source:"meh"
> &json.facet={"source":{"type":"terms","field":"source","domain":{"excludeTags":"source"}}}

where meh is a value that is not available for source, i get no results
(expected) but no facets as well - which is rather unexpected to me. as soon as
i go with source:”bar” (or something else that yields at least one record) i’m
getting a record back and as well facets.

which is why i’ve started of with the idea that there might be a correlation
between those things. verifying the situation using the old facet approach i
always get the expected facets back, no matter if the result is empty or not.

Or isn’t it supposed to work like this anymore and i’m the guy who didn’t get
the memo?

Thanks
Stefan