Wait: Are you really doing leading wildcard queries? If so, that's
likely the root of
the problem. Unless you add ReverseWildcardFilterFactory to your
analysis chain, Lucene has to enumerate your entire set of terms to
find likely candidates,
which takes a lot of resources. What happens if you use similar
trailing wildcards? And
what happens when you use simple non-wildcard queries?

Or is this just bolding that gets translated to asterisks by the mail
formatting?

Finally, what are typical values in this field? I'm really asking if your use of
KeywordTokenizer is the best choice here. It often is, but I've seen
it mis-used so
I thought we should check.

Best,
Erick