Wow, it took me some time to realize what you were referring to :-)

The manual (or the reference guide page) is under construction and I didn't
finish that page. The sentence about faceting is just a copy/paste relic :)
I'll go fix that asap.

I remember a bunch of Jira issues w.r.t NPE and distrib.singlePass which
have since been fixed. If you find something else, then please open a
issue. The distrib.singlePass approach reads all the stored fields from all
shards for all documents instead of just the top N docs. This can be
advantageous if you are returning a small number of fields but may cause
performance degradation if you are requesting all or a lot of fields.

But coming back to this bug, it seems like debugQuery=true is behaving
incorrectly for the normal two phase search? Please open a jira issue. This
warrants more investigation.

--
Regards,
Shalin Shekhar Mangar.