As Vincenzo  mentioned above you shall try to check using telnet and if
connection fails, then you should try to set http proxy on terminal/command
line using this and then give try again with telnet.  As long as telnet
works, your code should also be able to connect

export http.proxy=http://
<NETWORK_NAME>\<NETWORK_USER_ID>:<PWD>@<PROXY_SERVER>:<PORT>

Thanks,

Susheel