On 10/21/2016 6:56 AM, Hendrik Haddorp wrote:
> I'm running solrcloud in foreground mode (-f). Does it make a
> difference for Solr if I stop it by pressing ctrl-c, sending it a
> SIGTERM or using "solr stop"?

All of those should produce the same result in the end -- Solr's
shutdown hook will be called and a graceful shutdown will commence.

Note that in the case of the "bin/solr stop" command, the default is to
only wait five seconds for graceful shutdown before proceeding to a
forced kill, which for a typical install, means that forced kills become
the norm rather than the exception.  We have an issue to increase the
max timeout, but it hasn't been done yet.

I strongly recommend anyone going into production should edit the script
to increase the timeout.  For the shell script I would do at least 60
seconds.  The Windows script just does a pause, not an intelligent wait,
so going that high probably isn't advisable on Windows.

Thanks,
Shawn