I've got a DocExpirationUpdateProcessorFactory configured to periodically
remove expired documents from the Solr index, which is working in that the
documents no longer show up in queries once they've reached expiration date.
But the index size isn't reduced when they expire, and I'm wondering if it's
because of the expungeDeletes setting in this log line I'm seeing:

o.a.s.u.p.DocExpirationUpdateProcessorFactory Begining periodic deletion of
expired docs
o.a.s.u.DirectUpdateHandler2 start
commit{,optimize=false,openSearcher=true,waitSearcher=true,expungeDeletes=false,softCommit=true,prepareCommit=false}

How can I set expungeDeletes=true, and what are the drawbacks to doing so?