Correcting myself here, I was wrong about the cause (I had already messed
with the script).

I made it work by commenting out line 1261 (the number might be a bit off
as I have modified the script, but hopefully its easy to see where):

) ELSE IF "%1"=="/?" (
  goto zk_usage
) ELSE IF "%1"=="-h" (
  goto zk_usage
) ELSE IF "%1"=="-help" (
  goto zk_usage
) ELSE IF "!ZK_SRC!"=="" (
  if not "%~1"=="" (
    goto set_zk_src
  )
 * rem goto zk_usage*
) ELSE IF "!ZK_DST!"=="" (
  IF "%ZK_OP%"=="cp" (
    goto set_zk_dst
  )
  IF "%ZK_OP%"=="mv" (
    goto set_zk_dst
  )
  set ZK_DST="_"
) ELSE IF NOT "%1"=="" (
  set ERROR_MSG="Unrecognized or misplaced zk argument %1%"

Now upconfig works!

thanks
xavier