Hi Gustatec,

Relevancy tuning is really *huge* area, check this book when you have a
chance: https://www.manning.com/books/relevant-search

Default Solr sorting is based on TF/IDF algorithm; and sorting is not
necessarily ‘relevancy’

Trivial solution for clothes store domain would be this one, better to
explain using examples:

Product 1
========
Name: "Russell Athletic Men's Basic Tank Top"
Categories: “Shirt”, “Sleeveless Shirt”, “Tank Top”

Product 2
========
Name: "Russell Athletic Men's Cotton Muscle Shirt"
Categories: “Shirt”, “Sleeveless Shirt”, “Tank Top”

You may notice that first product has “Top” repeated twice in product name
and category; and second one has “Short” repeated twice.

Now having this real-life example you can play with boost query, boosting
results containing words from category name in their product name.

category:”Tank Top” & bq:”name:tank^10 OR name:top^5"

Solr provides “boost query” to tune sorting of output results, check “bq”
parameter in the docs at
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/The+DisMax+Query+Parser

I went from real-life scenario; your scenario and possible solutions could
be very different.

I had recently assignment at well-known retail shop where we even designed
pre-query custom boosts so that we can customize typical (most important
for the business) queries as per business needs

Fuad Efendi

(416) 993-2060

http://www.tokenizer.ca
Search Relevancy, Recommender Systems