I never found a way to do it through the UI... and ended up using "nano" on
linux for simple things.

For more complex stuff, I scp'd the file (or the whole conf directory) up
to my dev box (a Mac in my case) and edited in a decent UI tool, then scp'd
the whole thing back...  I wrote a simple bash script to automate the scp
process on both ends once I got tired of typing it over and over...