I'm familiar enough with 7-8 years of Solr usage in how it performs as a full
text search index, including spatial coordinates and much more. But for the
most part, we've been returning database ids from Solr rather than a full
record ready to display. We then grab the data and related records from the
database in the usual way and display it.

We are thinking now about improving performance of our app. One option is
Reddis to store html pieces for reuse, rather than assembling the html from
dozens of queries to the database. We've done what we can with caching in the
ORM level, and we can't do too much with varnish because of differences in page
rendering per user (eg shopping baskets).

But we are thinking about storing the rendered html directly in Solr. The
downsides appear to be:

* adding 2-10kB of html to each record and the performance hit this might have
on searching and retrieving
* additional load of ensuring we rebuild Solr's data every time some part of
that html changes (but this is minimal in our use case)
* additional cores that we'll want to add to cache other data that isn't yet in
Solr

Is this a reasonable approach to avoid running yet another cluster of services?
Are there downsides to this I haven't thought of? How does Solr scale with
record size?

Cheers
Ari

--