Okay,

So somehow, when I ran the next batch, it did fire a commit and an
optimize according to the logs I finally got working and the stats page.

Ahh... I think I get it.

the bin/commit script fires a commit for you, it's not what is run on
commit.  And if you want replication to work, you have to enable

<listener event="postCommit" class="solr.RunExecutableListener">
      <str name="exe">snapshooter</str>
      <str name="dir">solr/bin</str>

And specify the params there...

One question though.  If you are running solr multi-instance, how could
I provide args here?  Or do I have to have a separate solrconfig.xml
file for each instance.  Currently, I just symlink them all to the same
one...

Is it possible to set variables in my jetty override which could then be
used in the solrconfig.xml file??

Best,
Jacob

sundar shankar wrote:
> Look at the update handlers section of the Solr stats page. I guess the url
> is /admi/stats.jsp. This woudld give u an idea of how many docs are pending
> commit.
>
>> Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 14:53:02 -0700> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> To:
>> solr-user@lucene.apache.org> Subject: Re: How do I configure commit to run
>> after updates> > Hi folks,> > Thanks for the replies. I think I'm getting
>> closer now.> > I'm using the PHP library provided in JIRA, and I am calling
>> commit()> from it. Unfortunately, I can't see if it is working or not...> >
>> I'm trying to get logging working in jetty for a multi-instance server,> but
>> that's a separate nightmare.> > To understand correctly:> If you don't
>> commit after making an update, you shouldn't see those> documents you've
>> added in the index when you search. Is that correct?> > If so, than I am
>> committing just fine, as they show up, but the commit> script is still not
>> being called.> > Best,> jacob> Alexander Ramos Jardim wrote:> > You can
>> configure the autocommit feature in solrconfig.xml to get commit to> > work
>> from time to time or based in the number of documents added to your> >
>> index.> > > > 2008/8/7 Jacob
 Singh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> > > >> Hi,> >>> >> I'm using the XML based update
interface, and feeding requests to update> >> the index via jetty. It all works
great, however now I'm trying to get> >> replication running, and here's what I
understand:> >>> >> 1. An index update comes in.> >> 2. Solr runs the commit
script> >> 3. a post-commit event is specified in solrconfig.xml:> >>> >>
<listener event="postCommit" class="solr.RunExecutableListener">> >> <str
name="exe">snapshooter</str>> >> ....> >>> >> 4. This creates a snapshot of the
index and puts it in data/SNAPSHOT...> >> 5. The slaves run on cron, ssh in to
the master, and basically just ls> >> the data dir, find if there is a new
snapshot and rsync it> >> 6. the slaves "warm" the index and swap it.> >> 7.
snapcleaner runs on both machines to clear out old snapshots.> >>> >> Okay...
so this all makes sense, and I can sorta make it work, however,> >> the commit
is never run by itself when the index is updated. I have
 to> >> manually call the commit script from the command line to get it to
happen.> >>> >> Do I have to call something additional via the webservice?> >>>
>> Am I missing a config option in solrconfig.xml? (I'm using the example,> >>
so I wouldn't think so).> >>> >> Thanks a lot!> >> Jacob> >>> > > > > > >