I'll add that I _guarantee_ you'll want to re-index the data as you
change your schema
and the like. You'll be able to do that much more quickly if the data
is stored locally somehow.

A RDBMS is not necessary however. You could simply store the data on
disk in some format
you could re-read and send to Solr.

Best,
Erick