I would back up further and say that 2500 fields is too much from the
start. Why do you need this many fields? And you say you can sort on
any of them... for a corpus of any decent size this is going to chew
up memory like crazy. Admittedly OS memory if you use docValues but
still memory.

That said, a custom sort function is probably the way to go if you
really need to.

Best,
Erick