OK, so the next thing to do would be to index and store the rich text ...
is it HTML? Because then you can use HTMLStripCharFilterFactory in your
analyzer, and still get the correct highlight back with hl.fragsize=0.

I would think that you will have a hard time using the term positions, if
what you are indexing is somehow transformed before indexing and you want
to map the positions back to the untransformed text.