From: Amarnath palavalli [mailto:pamarn...@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, April 07, 2017 3:20 PM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Solr with HDFS on AWS S3 - Server restart fails to load the core

Hello,

I configured Solr to use HDFS, which in turn configured to use S3N. I used the
information from this issue to configure:

Here is the command I have used to start the Solr with HDFS:
bin/solr start -Dsolr.directoryFactory=HdfsDirectoryFactory
-Dsolr.lock.type=hdfs -Dsolr.hdfs.home=s3n://amar-hdfs/solr
-Dsolr.hdfs.confdir=/usr/local/Cellar/hadoop/2.7.3/libexec/etc/hadoop
-DXX:MaxDirectMemorySize=2g

I am able to create a core, with the following properties:
#Written by CorePropertiesLocator
#Thu Apr 06 23:08:57 UTC 2017
name=amar-s3
loadOnStartup=false
transient=true
configSet=base-config

I am able to ingest messages into Solr and also query the content. Everything
seems to be fine until this stage and I can see the data dir on S3.

However, the problem is when I restart the Solr server, that is when I see the
core not loaded even when accessed/queried against it. Here is the admin API to
get all cores gives:
<response>
<lst name="responseHeader">
<int name="status">0</int>
<int name="QTime">617</int>
</lst>
<lst name="initFailures"/>
<lst name="status">
<lst name="aggregator-core">...</lst>
<lst name="amar-s3">
<str name="name">amar-s3</str>
<str name="instanceDir">
/Users/apalavalli/solr/solr-deployment/server/solr/amar-s3
</str>
<str name="dataDir">data/</str>
<str name="config">solrconfig.xml</str>
<str name="schema">schema.xml</str>
<str name="isLoaded">false</str>
</lst>
</lst>
</response>

I don't see any issues reported in the log as well, but see this error from the
UI:

[Inline image 1]

Not sure about the problem. This is happening when I ingest more than 40K
messages in core before restarting Solr server.

I am using Hadoop 2.7.3 with S3N FS. Please help me on resolving this issue.

Thanks,
Regards,
Amar