I am not sure I can explain it better than the link I gave. Basically
you select parent records and then use fl=*,[child....] to add
children records into that.

I mostly wanted to make sure you knew about the flatten-by-default search.

Another way is to look for common _root_ field value. It will be same
for all records in the same block (parent, children, grandchildren,
etc). Of course, _root_ field is usually not stored, so it is a bit
hard to get to it. But you can look at all the indexed values that
field has in Admin UI's schema screen and then search by that value to
see how many records show up.

Regards,
   Alex.
----