Thanks everyone for the responses, I will go with the latest bits for now;
and will share how it goes.

@Toke, I stumbled upon your page last week but it seems that your huge
index doesn't receive a lot of query traffic. Mine is around 60TB and
receives around 120 queries per second; ~90 shards on 30 machines.

I look forward to hear more scale stories.
Nawab