This is in regards to changing a field type from string to
text_en_splitting, re-indexing all documents, even optimizing to give the
index a chance to merge segments and rewrite itself entirely, and then
getting this error when running a phrase query:
java.lang.IllegalStateException: field "blah" was indexed without position
data; cannot run PhraseQuery

I have encountered this issue before and have always done one of the
following as a work-around:
1.  Instead of changing the field type on an existing field just create a
new field and retire the old one.
2.  Delete the index directory and start from scratch.

These work-arounds are not always ideal.  Does anyone know what is holding
onto that old field type definition?  What thinks it is still a string?
Every document has been re-indexed and I am sure of this because I have a
time stamp indexed.  Is there any other way to get this to work?

For what it is worth, I am running this in SolrCloud mode but I remember
seeing this issue before SolrCloud was released as well.