We are talking about fewer collections,so that won't be an issue.

The problem comes when - using the proposed setup - I want to send a query
across all those collections and get properly ranked results. Each
collection has its own IDF etc, so the scores are not comparable. This means
that most probably results from one collection will dominate the results.

This led me to try the /DistributedIDF/ configuration but this did not work
either due to the issues described in the link of the original post.