Take a look at the solr logs, they'll give you a more explicit message.

My guess: Someone went into the Solr admin UI, clicked "core admin"
and then said "I wonder what this 'new core' button does?". The
default name is, you guessed it, "new_core". And if you don't have the
underlying directories set up already, there's no conf directory. And
so there's no solrconfig.xml to parse. And...

They can get past this by going into /var/solr/data and 'rm -rf new_core'.

Or, safer is to go in to

/var/solr/data/new_core/

and rename core.properties to anything else. Solr won't try to load
the core then. This assumes a relatively modern Solr, 4.x and above.
Or at least one that does not have cores defined in solr.xml.

Best,
Erick