Is the phisical machine dedicated ? Is a dedicated VM on shared metal ?
Apart from this operational checks I will assume the machine is dedicated.

In Solr a write to the disk does not happen only on commit, I can think to
other scenarios :
1) *Transaction log* [1]
2)

3) Spellcheck and SuggestComponent  building ( this depends on the config in
case you use them)

4) memory Swapping ?

5) merges ( they are triggered potentially by a segment writing or an
explicit optimize call and they can last a while potentially)

Maybe other edge cases, but i would first check this list!

[1]
https://lucidworks.com/2013/08/23/understanding-transaction-logs-softcommit-and-commit-in-sorlcloud/

-----