Our most common use for solr is searching for products, not text search. My
company is in the process of migrating away from an Endeca search engine,
 the goal to keep the business happy is to make sure that search results
from the different engines be fairly similar, one area that we have found
that suppresses a result from being as good as it was in the old system is
the idf.

We are using Solr 6. After moving to it, a lot of our results got better,
but idf still seems to deaden some results. Given that our focus is product
searching I really don't see a need for idf at all. Previous to Solr 6 you
could suppress idf by providing a custom similarity class. Looking over the
newer documentation a lot of things have improved, but I'm not sure I see a
simple way to turn off idf in Solr 6's BM25 searcher.

How do I disable IDF in Solr 6?

We also do have needs for text searching so it would be nice if we could
suppress IDF on a field or schema level

otherwise protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient,
you must not copy this message or attachment or disclose the contents to
any other person. If you have received this transmission in error, please
notify the sender immediately and delete the message and any attachment
from your system. Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany and any of its
subsidiaries do not accept liability for any omissions or errors in this
message which may arise as a result of E-Mail-transmission or for damages
resulting from any unauthorized changes of the content of this message and
any attachment thereto. Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany and any of its
subsidiaries do not guarantee that this message is free of viruses and does
not accept liability for any damages caused by any virus transmitted
therewith.

Click http://www.emdgroup.com/disclaimer to access the German, French,
Spanish and Portuguese versions of this disclaimer.