I don't think you're reading it correctly. First of all, if you're
going to do be doing deep paging you should be using cusorMark, see:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Pagination+of+Results.

Second, it's a two-pass process if you don't use cursormark. The first
pass gets the candidate docs from each shard. But all it returns is
the ID and sort criteria. Then the aggregator node gets the _true_ top
N after sorting all the lists from each shard and issues a second
request for _only_ those docs that have made the top N from each sub
shard, and those should be the only ones highlighted.

Do you have any evidence to the contrary that they're all being
highlighted? Or are you misinterpreting the log message for the first
pass?

Best,
Erick