There's nothing preventing you from getting/compiling the latest Solr
7x (what will be 7.1) for your own use. There's information here:
https://wiki.apache.org/solr/HowToContribute

Basically, you get the code from Git (instructions provided at the
link above) and execute the "ant package" command from the solr
directory. After things churn for a while you should have the tgz and
zip files just as though you have downloaded them from the Apache
Wiki. You need Java 1.8 JDK and ant installed, and the first time you
try to compile you may see instructions to execute an ant target that
downloads ivy.

One note, there was a comment recently that you may have to get
ivy-2.4.0.jar to have the "ant package" complete successfully.

Best,
Erick