Hi Roland,
I guess you can use defaults in solr config to set wt to XML. Something like:
<requestHandler name=“/my_handler" class="solr.SearchHandler">
    <lst name="defaults">
      <str name=“wt">xml</str>
    </lst>
  </requestHandler>

You can also use useParams=“xml_out” and in your params.json have xml params
defined group xml_out with wt: “xml”

HTH,
Emir