Hi,

Here is a discussion we had recently with a fellow Solr user.
It seems reasonable to me and wanted to see if this is an accepted theory.

The bit-vectors in filterCache are as long as the maximum number of
documents in a core. If there are a billion docs per core, every bit vector
will have a billion bits making its size as 10 9 / 8 = 128 mb
With such a big cache-value per entry,  the default value of 128 values in
will become 128x128mb = 16gb and would not be very good for a system
running below 32 gb of memory.

If such a use-case is anticipated, either the JVM's max memory be increased
to beyond 40 gb or the filterCache size be reduced to 32.

Thanks
SG