On 3-Sep-08, at 1:29 PM, Chris Harris wrote:

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/FieldOptionsByUseCase says that a field
needs to be both stored and indexed for highlighting to work. Unless
I'm very confused, though, I just tested and highlighting worked fine
(on trunk) for a stored, *non-indexed* field. So is this info perhaps
out of date?

Good point. An analyzer/token filter chain is required to be defined, but actually indexing isn't strictly necessary.

Assuming it's correct that indexing the field is not required for
highlighting, there isn't any highlighting performance benefit from
indexing the field, is there? I guess if you have indexed and
termVectors and termPositions then you'll see a highlighting speedup,
but not from indexed alone.

True.

-Mike