The replica was deleted using the deleteReplica collections API call. The
call timed out, but eventually completed. However something still held a
write lock, and it was still held a day later, but the replica was removed
as far as we could tell in the solr admin console.

Since it was a development collection, we "fixed" the problem by deleting
the collection and re-creating it