What Hoss said, and in addition somewhere some
custom code has to be translating things back and
forth. For dates, Solr wants YYYY-MM-DDTHH:MM:SSZ
as a date string it knows how to deal with. That simply
couldn't parse as a float type so there's some custom
code that transforms dates into a float at ingest
time and converts from float to something recognizable
as a date on output.