Hi Vincenzo,
Unless you have really specific ranking requirements, I would not suggest you
to start with you proprietary similarity implementation. In most cases edismax
will be good enough to cover your requirements. It is not easy task to tune
edismax since it has a log knobs that you can use.
In general there are two approaches that you can use: Create a golden set of
query-results pairs and use it with some metric (e.g. you can start with simple
F-measure) and tune parameters to maximize metric. The alternative approach
(complements the first one) is to let user use your search, track clicks and
monitor search metrics like mean reciprocal rank, zero result queries, page
depth etc. and tune queries to get better results. If you can do A/B testing,
you can use that as well to see which changes are better.
In most cases, this is iterative process and you should not expect to get it
right the first time and that you will be able to tune it to cover all cases.

Good luck!

HTH,
Emir