On 10/18/2017 11:32 PM, maximka19 wrote:
> *1.* Container: from Solr 5 there is now .WAR-file provided in package. I
> couldn't deploy Solr 7.1 to Tomcat 9. None of existing tutorials or guides
> helped. No such information for newer versions.

The included Jetty is the only supported option since version 5.0.

https://wiki.apache.org/solr/WhyNoWar

> So, does this mean that officially Solr isn't support other containers like
> Tomcat? Can we use Jetty as a main container in production issues? And it's
> officially recommended by developers/maintainers? If so, how can I host Solr
> as a service in Windows Server? There are not any scripts in package for
> Windows, only for .nix machines. How to do that? What a best practices? NO
> information, tutorials, guides are provided in such question, especially for
> Windows users.

Correct, running in a user-supplied container is not a supported
option.  It *is* still possible to install Solr into a third party
container like Tomcat, but you'll be on your own.  Since version 5.3,
the webapp is no longer compressed into a WAR file, instead it is
already exploded to server/solr-webapp/webapp.  As far as I am aware,
Tomcat does have the ability to run an already-exploded webapp.

Jetty is considered an enterprise-grade platform.  You might have heard
of this product, which is built with Jetty:

https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/flexible/

As for the OS, you're probably getting the impression that Windows is a
second class citizen to the average Solr developer.  That would indeed
be a correct impression.  As for my own opinion, although I do consider
Windows to be technically inferior to Linux and other open source
operating systems, it's a capable platform that can run Solr just fine.

My primary objection to running Solr on Windows has little to do with
the technology, it's mostly about cost.  You wouldn't want to run
production Solr on a client OS like Windows 10.  The server operating
systems usually add a significant cost to new hardware deployments.

I think that NSSM is the program most commonly used for turning the Solr
download into a Windows service.

https://nssm.cc/

There is an issue in Jira to create a Windows service out of the box,
but work on it has stalled.

Shawn