Actually, it's one lucene segment per *concurrent* indexing thread.

So if you have 10 indexing threads in Lucene at once, then 10 in-memory
segments will be created and will have to be written on refresh/commit.

Elasticsearch uses a bounded thread pool to service all indexing requests,
which I think is a healthy approach.  It shouldn't have to be the client's
job to worry about server side details like this.

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com