Hoss
Clearly it is
U+00FC  ü       c3 bc   LATIN SMALL LETTER U WITH DIAERESIS
As in Tübingen

"With the Yahoo Flickr Creative Commons 100 Million (YFCC100m) dataset, a great
novel dataset was introduced to the computer vision and multimedia research
community." -- cool

I think it is strange that the /select handler was completely default. In my
experience there is some sort of config for it in solrconfig.xml.

In the SolrAdmin console, query pane, when you have entered some params and
done a search it shows you the complete URL above the results. Does that match
your select query?

We could ask ''what changed previous to it being broken". I suspect there was
something other than the Java upgrade, but it will be interesting if that is
actually the cause.
Cheers -- Rick