Ah, also, this is what the admin console says for location of core docs
when I created the core at command line:

CWD:/opt/solr-5.3.1/serverInstance:/var/solr/data/[corename]Data:
/var/solr/data/[corename]/dataIndex:/var/solr/data/[corename]/data/index

------
Dr. Amanda Shuman
Post-doc researcher, University of Freiburg, The Maoist Legacy Project
<http://www.maoistlegacy.uni-freiburg.de/>
PhD, University of California, Santa Cruz
http://www.amandashuman.net/
http://www.prchistoryresources.org/
Office: +49 (0) 761 203 4925