We do both #2 and #4 from the Wiki page.  If the schemas have a lot of
overlap and you don't foresee the need to scale to multiple machines (either
due to index size or amount of traffic), it may be best to put all the data
in a single index with different type fields (#4); this certainly minimizes
maintenance.  #1 or #2 seems like a better choice if it is likely you will
eventually need to physically separate the indexes.

Jason

--
Jason Rennie
Head of Machine Learning Technologies, StyleFeeder