We've never run an index this size in anything but HDFS, so I have no comparison.  What we've been doing is keeping two main collections - all data, and the last 30 days of data.  Then we handle queries based on date range.  The 30 day index is significantly faster.

My main concern right now is that 6 of the 100 shards are not coming back because of no leader.  I've never seen this error before.  Any ideas?  ClusterStatus shows all three replicas with state 'down'.

Thanks!

-joe