I'm doing the merging on the SSD drive, the speed should be ok?

We need to merge because the data are indexed in two different collections,
and we need them to be under the same collection, so that we can do things
like faceting more accurately.
Will sharding alone achieve this? Or do we have to merge first before we do
the sharding?

Regards,
Edwin